By Project Wellness Now
Chocolate and beets do not mix? Wrong! Try this extraordinary beet mousse by our friend Aarika. She knows beets like nobody else. For more delicious beet recipes visit her website ==>>JUST BEET IT!
• 1 small beetroot, cooked and peeled (use 2-3 beets for more BEETastic flavor)
• 3 tbsp raw cacao powder
• 4 heaping tbsp coconut cream (if using coconut or almond milk, use 2-3 tbsp. Coconut cream is a thicker consistency)
• 4 soaked pitted Medjool dates and 1 tbsp soaked liquid
• 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup (sweetener of your choice)
• 1/2 tsp cinnamon
• 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
• 1 tsp minced fresh ginger root
• 1 1/2 tbsp melted coconut oil
OPTIONAL ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
• 1 tbsp Maca powder
• 1/4 cup water (only as needed for processing)
• 1 tbsp raw almond butter
• dash of cayenne or chili powder
• cacao nibs, shredded coconut, or chopped nuts
• blueberries, peaches, raspberries, or strawberries
• fresh mint
• gluten-free oats, granola, etc.
1. Soak 4 pitted Medjool dates for 1/2 to 1 hour.
2. In a high-speed blender, add all the ingredients.
3. Blend well, stopping frequently to wipe down the sides with a spatula. Begin blending again, adding a little water, coconut water, or coconut milk as needed to create a light and smooth mousse consistency.
4. Spoon equal amounts into dessert glasses. Top with preferred toppings, such as fruit, cacao nibs, or coconut shreds. Chill in the fridge for at least 20 mins before serving.
5. Serve in a glass layering with gluten-free oats, granola, or Greek yogurt (a non-vegan option).